Thursday, December 10, 2009

Post-Philadelphia: the writing life


As anyone who glances even intermittently at this blog will know. . .my posting prowess has all but non-existent as of late. I will blame this on "the writing life". Since mid-October perhaps (I don't remember exactly) I have been living this life. Writing. Preparing funding applications and presentations for two conferences.

In November I attended and presented a paper at the Anthropology of Japan in Japan (AJJ) conference at Temple University Japan and this last week I attended and presented a paper at the American Anthropological Association (AAA) meeting in Philadelphia (hence the Liberty Bell picture).

I've debated putting the paper that I presented online, because it still feels like a work in progress. But, think I'll go ahead and do it. . .perhaps some feedback will come my way (but be nice please).

Before I left for Philadelphia a newspaper reporter from a Nagano prefecture paper known as the shinano-mainichi-shinbun 信濃毎日新聞 came to Otaki to interview me about my research. The article came out in the December 12th edition of the paper. Apparently it was noticed because the day after I returned from Philadelphia I received a call from the local Foresty Agency office asking if they could come talk to me about my research. I'm a bit nervous about the meeting because I was critical of the agency in the interview and this came through in the article. However, I hope that something good will come out of the meeting. At least my research has been noticed! There's a desire among many Japanese to maintain social harmony. . .it's seen as a virtue. But, not being Japanese, I'm perfectly happy to stir up the social stew.

I'll defer to Cactus Ed again.

"Society is like a stew.
If you don't keep it stirred up,
you get a lot of scum on top."


I'll update after I meet with the Forestry Agency folks on Monday.

No comments: