Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Whiling the winter away

It's been a slow winter. . .not getting a lot done. Aki and I have both been working at Otaki's ski hill, Ontake 2240--me as a lift operator and Aki at a restaurant. Not the greatest work, but we both only work weekends and get free season passes, which leaves plenty of time for playing on the slopes.

I've also been working on a paper idea for this year's American Anthropological Association meetings in Philadelphia. My interest is in exploring the idea of "socio-ecological resilience", which I've mentioned in other posts, in terms of its socio-political implications as a device for inclusive and equitable forest management. Not a lot to say about it now--still too early in my thinking--but will post as things come together.

For now, back to the slopes.

Lastly,

Happy death day to Cactus Ed.
March 14th, 1989
DOWN WITH EMPIRE, UP WITH SPRING!

2 comments:

Ojisanjake said...

Ed is one of my all time favorite writers..... I met one of the people who buried him in Cabeza Prieta.... same person was one of the characters in Monkey Wrench...

Taintus said...

OjisanJake,

Thanks for the comment. Abbey helped me fall in love with my home-state, Utah. What a place! Was that Peacock you met perhaps? I had a chance to see him read from his book "Grizzly Years" once (a great read).

I still have dreams about going out to find Abbey's final resting place--That is if it hasn't been paved over yet!

Best,

Eric